South India Cultural Association
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
Date:December 12, 2016
Time:2:30 PM to 3:30 PM
Location:St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church, 2345 Alta Vista Drive, Ottawa, ON K1H 7M6
The meeting, having achieved quorum, started at 2:30 pm.
- President’s report, outlining activities and events for FY16 was presented by Dr. Venkateswaran and approved.
- Financial results for FY16 were presented by Mr. Ramnath, approved by Dr. Nair and was followed by a Q&A session.
- Financial results included highlights of the revenue generated from events, expenses incurred and the overall profitability of the organization.
Committee member changes:
- Incoming committee members were formally nominated and inducted into SICA.New committee members were also introduced to existing members and include:
- Aishwarya Vijaykumar
- Prabhu Vengadeswaran
- Srivatsan Vijayakumar
- Yasotha Ahilan
- After many years of dedicated service, Mrs. Jayasri Ramesh has decided to step down from the executive committee for 2017.
- Mr. Ramnath, who has been the treasurer for over 6 years and on the executive committee for over 10 years, and Mr. Ramarathnam have also decided to step down for 2017, but will remain on ex officio.
- All members thanked Mrs. Ramesh, Mr. Ramnath and Mr. Ramarathnam for the wonderful job they did.
- With no further nominations from the floor and with support from SICA members, the following members were acclaimed to the 2017 executive committee:
- Dr. Rashmi Venkateswaran (President)
Thyagaraja Day 2017 confirmed:
- Date and additional details to be finalized and communicated to members and committee.
Q&A period discussion on financial results:
- Rising expenditures (weak Canadian dollar, increasing remuneration to artists)
- Low account balance – the closing balance of the SICA bank account at the end of 2016 is $1311.92
- Difficulties in collecting on sponsorship fees
Roundtable discussion and idea generation session:
- Revenue generation through alternate membership fee structures, sponsorships
- Growing the organization’s membership base and collaborating with other organizations in the community
Changes to membership fee structure:
- Overall, majority of members in attendance were in agreement that they would support an increase in membership fees provided that this change has buy-in from the broader membership base.
- Current committee put forth an idea of changing the membership structure to a fee + donation model where a portion of the fee may be claimed by members on tax returns. This proposal requires further discussion.
- Conduct follow up meeting with new committee members
- Discuss and finalize changes to membership fee structure
- Plan and organize Thyagaraja Day event
Proposed membership fees for 2017
|Membership type||Proposed Fee for 2017||Current Fee 2016|
|Couple – Senior||$110||$110|
|Single – Senior||$60||$60|
|Non members (per program)||$30||$20|
SICA Membership notes:
- Memberships purchased in 2017 will be valid until March 1st 2018
- A family membership will cover 2 adults and 2 children 21 years of age or below. Additional dependent children may be added for $30 per dependent child 21 years of age or below.
- Organizational membership package is available exclusively to teachers of Carnatic music and dance across North America. Similar to the family membership, the organizational membership package will cover 2 adults and 2 children below 18 years of age. Further, this membership will include:
- Attendance at all programs and performance opportunities for any 2 students of the teacher’s choosing at SICA talent programs
- An advertisement on the SICA website as well as select event brochures and promotional material
- Non member fee is a standard entry fee that will be charged to each non-member for entry to a single SICA event
Benefits for SICA members include:
- Entry to a minimum of two concerts by prominent Carnatic musicians
- Entry to and participation opportunities in a minimum two local talent programs
- Entry to select Bharatiya Sangeetha Sangham (BSS) Montreal programs for a discounted rate
- Group discount rates for SICA members for select non-SICA events
- Other benefits and opportunities to be outlined throughout 2017
Anyone who would like to comment on the proposed fees for 2017 or on any issue relevant to SICA is invited to email the committee at email@example.com
The meeting concluded with a vote of thanks by the President and was adjourned at 3:30 PM.